Robert Triggs / Android Authority
🍐 Good morning, and welcome to this sunny Tuesday’s Daily Authority! On Sunday I discovered pears go really well with blue cheese. Who knew? (probably everyone but me, to be fair).
Ready for ROG Phone 6?
We got a look at the ROG Phone 6 as renders broke cover — and although it looks similar to previous ROG phones in terms of design aesthetic, the cooling accessory is bigger than ever before.
Looking good (but big)
The latest ROG phone — which many would agree is the best gaming phone on the planet — is looking pretty good.
- We got a sneak peek courtesy of Evan Blass and 91 Mobiles.
- Fans of the ROG phone design will feel right at home, as the design isn’t changing too much this time around.
- Though the rear display panel has moved, which is a nice touch.
- The leaked renders only show the phone in white, but we’ll likely see a black variant too, if past versions are anything to go by.
What we know so far
In terms of the ROG Phone 6’s specs, here’s what we’re expecting:
- We should see a 6.78-inch AMOLED display, the same as the ROG Phone 5, but this time around there’s a 165Hz refresh rate (the ROG Phone 5 was 144Hz).
- Under the hood should be a Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen 1 chip, promising power efficiency improvements from 15 to 30% over Qualcomm’s current flagship chip, plus 10% clock speed improvements.
- The chip still runs hot — more on that in a minute.
- We’re expecting up to 18GB RAM and up to 512GB storage, plus a beefy 6,000mAh battery and 65W wired charging, so not much will have changed here from the ROG 5 Ultimate.
- There’s also a headphone jack.
Keep your cool
With the notably hot-running Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen 1, Asus has had to step up its game to ensure the ROG Phone 6 stays cool.
- The ROG Phone 5 got a little warm during extended play, becoming noticeable after 15 to 20 minutes.
- Though the previous generation’s cooler accessory was a little bulky for on-the-go use, it’s absolutely massive this time around, so not the most portable.
We’ll soon know more as there’s not long to wait until the ROG Phone 6 launches — next week on July 5 at 8 AM EST.
🧟 HTC’s metaverse phone shows without all doubt that the company is a zombie (Android Authority).
🎮 July’s PS Plus games leaked ahead of Sony’s formal announcement (though take this with a pinch of salt): Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time, The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan, and Arcadegeddon are coming (Eurogamer).
- In July 2000, Samsung still had just a 4.6% share of the market.
- By summer 2007, when Apple launched the first iPhone (June 29), it still only had a 0.3% share of the market. That had risen to 6.8% just a year later, and more than doubled again to 13.9% by June 2009.
- By December 2021, Apple’s market share was 27.3%, with Samsung taking a 27.8% share of the market pie and every other manufacturer lagging behind.
- Gone are the days when Motorola and Nokia topped the leaderboard.
- It’s not clear though whether these figures are global or just for the US.
Have a great day!
Paula Beaton, Copy Editor.