Eric Zeman / Android Authority
Smartphones have made several strides over the years in terms of performance, offering octa-core CPU cores and powerful GPUs. However, all this power can also come at the cost of heating.
So we asked two questions in recent days to get a better idea of what Android Authority readers thought about their phone’s capabilities. We first asked whether you felt your phone ran too hot, then we asked if you’re happy with your phone’s performance. Here’s how you answered these two polls.
Do you think your phone runs too hot?
Are you happy with your phone’s performance?
We posted our first poll on June 23, attracting 1,600 votes in the process. It turns out that 58.11% of polled readers feel that their phones run too hot, making it the choice of the majority of respondents. On the other hand, 41.89% of polled readers felt their devices didn’t run too hot.
Our second poll attracted almost 3,800 votes after being posted on June 27, and the overwhelming majority of respondents (75.1%) said they were happy with their phone’s performance. By comparison, 24.9% said they weren’t happy.
Most of the comments reflected the majority opinion, with people saying they were happy with devices like the Pixel 6 Pro, Galaxy Note 20, OnePlus 8 Pro, and Poco F3. We also see people chiming in to express happiness with older devices like the LG G7 Plus, Galaxy S10e, and OnePlus 7 Pro.
It’s seems like there could be some cross-over between the people who feel their phone runs too hot and those who are happy with their device’s performance. This makes sense as heating is a side-effect of the phone getting a workout. Still, it appears that the extent of the heating is a problem for many polled readers.
- OreoMan: Kick’n it with the OnePlus 8T, and this thing still flies. I leave it on 120Hz with no heating issues and all day battery life. I’m good!
- Staicu: I’ve had this phone(LG G7+) for about 4 years now,no change in performance tbh. The only notable change is that this summer it started to heat up more than usual
- Nick V: I’ve had the Pixel 6 Pro since it first came out, and have been happy with it since. I use it all day for work and play, and without any issue.
- David Josefsen: The Mi 10T Pro 5G is working amazing with games and other apps that needs good performance. The truth is that Qualcomm Snapdragon 860, 865 & 870 SoC’s are the best for gaming etc since they do not overheat, compared to the last 2 years. I’m not upgrading until mobile chips sees improvements in thermals and no throttling with no overheating issues.
- Hasib: My OnePlus has no heating issues when I’m gaming, even on performance mode, the only time my phone gets hot is when I leave it out in the sun for an hour
- : Some games make my phone warm. I typically don’t hold the phone in the spot where it gets warm so it doesn’t bother me
- Rob Geeson: I had a Xiaomi 11t Pro, which got hot when I charged it and hot when I gamed (cheers SD888) so I sold it and bought a Poco X4 Pro 5g with a ‘slow’ 67w charge rate. My new phone charges cool, games cool, lasts forever and runs everything almost or just as well. Plus I have an extra $300 in my pocket.
- Filament: Still holding tight to my Galaxy S10e. The screen is problematic now (green tint) but other than that, the Snapdragon and 8GB RAM with 256GB storage is just still amazing to use. Now I feel like buying another S10e as a spare.
- Jongi95: Poco f3 user here ( on European global miui). I play genshin impact on medium settings (30 fps because 60 fps heats up too much). Other than occasional hiccups it’s fine. Had a redmi note 5 pro before, so it’s a huge jump in performance for me.
- Cryio: OnePlus 8 Pro now has the “High Performances” toggle on Oxygen OS 12. The phone is screaming fast with SD865 and UFS 3.0.
- Shubham: I am using a 3 year old OnePlus 7 Pro and it still performs great. I don’t play games so the performance is more than enough for me. Oneplus software updates are buggy and so my phone is running custom rom based android 12.1 which makes all apps buttery smooth and gives better battery life than stock ROM.
- Szabó Benedek: I have a Samsung Galaxy a52 5g. It’s a mid-range but it runs very very hot and painfully slow. I tried uninstalling apps, factory data reset, but it didn’t help.
- John Freiman: I have a Samsung S22 Ultra (Snapdragon) and I can’t use it to take photos on a hot day without the camera working – something like, your phone is too hot, wait for it to cool down and try again.
- I own the GS22 Ultra and it gets so hot during fast charging on the back that you can fry an egg on it. Mobile games like Call of Duty or PUBG also make the phone hot. The Snapdragon 8 chip is bad…the advertised speeds they brag about can only handle peak performance for 15 minutes or less. Battery life is average at best and my iPhone 13 Pro Max gets 2 hours more battery life. Just think…the Exynos version is worse.