Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 update hub. Here you’ll find the latest information on software releases for Samsung’s latest smartwatches. We’ll detail the current firmware versions for the Galaxy Watch 4 and the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic and alert you if there’s a new update rolling out.
The Galaxy Watch 4 and Watch 4 Classic launched with Wear OS 3 and Samsung’s One UI Watch skin on top. Samsung confirmed that the series would receive up to four years of software support, suggesting that support for both devices would be extended through 2026.
- Current stable version: Wear OS 3
Latest Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 series update
May 4, 2022: After last month’s minor patch, Samsung is following up in May with an equally little update. The Galaxy Watch 4 series is gaining firmware version R8**XXU1FVD4, which brings the May 2022 security patches and additional performance improvements.
However, one glaring omission is Google Assistant support, which Samsung teased in April. At I/O 2022, Google confirmed that Assistant would be heading to Samsung’s wearable “soon” but failed to provide an exact date. Nevertheless, the latest Galaxy Watch 4 update is slowly rolling out to devices across the globe.
Latest Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 update changelog:
- Improved system stability and reliability
- Stabilization codes for watch operation have been applied
To check for a Galaxy Watch 4 update on your device, head to Settings > Software update on your watch. Or, open the Galaxy Wearable app on your phone and head to Watch settings > Watch software update.
Don’t miss: Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 review
- April 7, 2022: An update that improved system stability and reliability, and brought updates to Samsung Health rolled out to devices in April. The update featured firmware version R8**XXU1FVC8.
- February 10, 2022: Samsung rolled out the first major update of 2022 to the Galaxy Watch 4. The update brought an improved gamified contextual sleep tracking system, better health coaching and interval targets for runners and cyclists, and new watch faces with additional colors and fonts for tinkerers. The update weighed in around 670MB and included firmware version R8**XXU1EVA8.
- November 11, 2021: An update with firmware version R8**XXU1DUK1 arrived, bringing “improved system stability and reliability” to the wearables.
- October 20, 2021: Samsung released one of the biggest content updates to the Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 4 Classic to date. Four new watch faces were made available on the devices, including Info Brick (a data-packed watch face), Basic Dashboard (simple, straightforward stats), Weather Center (showing your three-hour forecast and weather conditions), and Live Wallpaper (with backgrounds based on the Galaxy Z Fold 3 series). Samsung also added a new gesture through a knock-knock shortcut. The update also included the November 2021 security patch through firmware version R8**XXU1DUJA.
- October 12, 2021: Samsung rolled out a small update to the Galaxy Watch 4 line (h/t 9to5Google), bringing firmware version R8**XXU1CUJ2. Samsung only provided a brief, vague changelog hinting at “improved system stability and reliability.”
- September 29, 2021: Samsung rolled out firmware version R8**XXU1CUID, which “improved system stability and reliability.”
- September 10, 2021: Firmware version R8**XXU1BUI5 (h/t SamMobile) landed on the Galaxy Watch 4 series. It brought improvements to the touch bezel on the Galaxy Watch 4 and improved system stability on both models. Not mentioned in the changelog but noticed by XDA’s Zachary Wander, the ~160MB update also smoothed the app drawer’s scrolling while adding a new drawer animation.
- September 2, 2021: Samsung pushed out firmware version R8**XXU1BUH9 to the Galaxy Watch 4 series in the US, Europe, and the UK (h/t TizenHelp). It added the Samsung Health function to settings. Samsung also introduced a cancel option for automatic workout detection and a volume adjustment option in the quick settings panel. Calorie measurements during cycling exercises and general stability improvements rounded up the patch.
- August 22, 2021: The first Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 series update rolled out even before the wearables started shipping. It carried firmware version R8**XXU1BUH5 and had a size of 290MB. The update included stability improvements and bug fixes. The update also enhanced overall performance, but Samsung didn’t give out the exact details of those improvements.
What firmware are you running on your Galaxy Watch 4? Let us know in the comments. Also, if you’ve spotted an OTA that we haven’t, tip us!